Saturday, November 26, 2011

Careless in the Club

Saw something interesting tonight at work. I was working in the Voodou Room (hip hop club) inside Mangos. There was this group of 5 people. They def weren't from the US. Polish or something. I dunno. But in the middle of the club (hip hop crowd) they were dancing wildly off beat. Jumping and gyrating and spinning, all while playing with this imaginary basketball. Yes, in the middle of the club. A basketball. Well, I think. I couldn't see it of course, but they were dribbling it and shooting it and spinning it on their fingers. Passing it back and forth. All things you'd do with a basketball. Waka Flocka is in the background screaming bout going hard in the mutha fuckin paint and these 5 friends are in La La land having the time of their lives. They didn't have a single care in thee world. People were staring and laughing, but it didn't phase them. They never once stepped out of their world or snapped out of character. Then again, they weren't acting. They were living.

This went on for AT LEAST an hour. The same game. Passing the ball from person to person. Whoever caught it performed some neat trick or some funky dance move and then found an interesting way to pass it to the next person. Part of me wondered if they were on some sort of drug that causes hallucinations. What did they see? From the outside looking in they looked crazy, but the way they were so deep in their zone I think they really weren't there. Like they were THERE, but not THERE.. you get me?

I stared at them for a long time and was fascinated. I even tried to jump in their circle and catch the ball. They never passed it to me though. They didn't even acknowledge me. I honestly don't think they SAW me. They were that DEEP into their world. Anyways, it really made me think. How many of us have moments as carefree as they were having? How many of us let loose and break free? Free from awareness, free from judgement (of self and others)? Oblivious to our surroundings and who's watching or what they are thinking. How many of us actually live wholeheartedly in the moment? How many of us can genuinely say we do what makes US happy, regardless of anyone else's influence/scrutiny? Def gives us all something to think about. People laughed, but I was impressed. They were in a place I hope to one day be.

♥ Christa Elise Graziano

No comments:

Post a Comment